The Machinery Maintenance Division of the Department of Public Works is responsible for the maintenance of 81 pieces of equipment – including 40 pieces of rolling stock – assigned to the Department of Public Works, Parks Department, School Department and Council on Aging. Division employees also assist in snow removal, emergency response and other Departmental functions as needed.
The specific functions of this division include
- Maintaining and repairing the vehicles used by the Department of Public Works, Parks Department, School Department and Council on Aging – including snow removal equipment – to allow for the uninterrupted services provided by those Departments to the citizens of North Reading;
- Maintaining and repairing the small equipment (lawn mowers, blowers, chain saws, trimmers) used in maintaining the Town grounds, roadsides and trees;
- Scheduling and coordinating the purchase of replacement vehicles and equipment as needed;
- Contracting for the repair of vehicles which are beyond the capacity of this division;
- Operating a body and paint program to reinvest in fleet machinery and extend the useful life of vehicles and equipment; and
- Making an inventory of fuel stocks and ordering fuel to ensure a continuous supply at the Town’s fueling station.
|Patrick Bower||Director of Public Works||978-357-5227|