Chapter 121 of the Acts of 2016 was enacted by the Legislature on June 3, 2016 (effective on January 1, 2017) and made significant changes to the previous version of the Public Records Law, including changes regarding response time, fees and the appointment of Records Access Officers.
The Chief Executive Officer of the Town (Board Selectmen) must designate at least one or more Records Access Officers (RAO) whose duties include:
- coordinate a municipality's response to requests for public records
- facilitate the resolution of such requests by the timely and thorough production of public records
- assist persons seeking public records to identify the records sought
- assist a records custodian with preserving public records in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations and schedules
- prepare guidelines that enable a person seeking access to public records in making informed requests regarding the availability of such public records electronically or otherwise
Additional information regarding the new Public Records Law, Records Access Guidelines, a Request Form and other material pertaining to Public Records can be found on this page or through the various links to the Secretary of the Commonwealth's website.