- The Road and Street Division (Highway Department) of the Department of Public Works is responsible for the seasonal and winter maintenance of North Reading’s 90 miles of roadways, the storm drainage system, and small construction projects. The division also provides operational support for the Cemetery and Water Divisions, and employees also assist in snow removal, emergency response and other Departmental functions as needed.
The specific functions of this division include
- Maintaining the Town’s streets, sidewalks and curbing in accordance with the Standards of the North Reading Department of Public Works. This maintenance includes normal seasonal maintenance such as street sweeping, applying pavement markings, filling potholes, repairing damaged curbing, grading and maintaining gravel roads, and winter snow and ice removal;
- Maintaining the Town’s stormwater drainage system, including cleaning the Town’s 1,512 catch basins annually and adjusting structures as needed due to paving;
- Conducting small construction projects relative to improving the Town’s public works infrastructure, including paving, sidewalk and curbing repairs and extensions, and drainage improvements and extensions;
- Responding to citizen requests and complaints relative to the Public Works projects and infrastructure;
- Supervising and assisting in contracted Public Works projects, including reconstruction of streets and drainage, crack filling and sealing streets; and
- Assisting other Departmental divisions and other Town Departments (School, Police, Fire, Town Hall) with projects as needed.
|Christopher Deming||Operations Manager||978-357-5227|
|Patrick Bower||Director of Public Works||978-357-5227|