Town of North Reading officials continue to monitor the Columbia Gas situation in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover. North Reading’s natural gas utility, National Grid, informed the Town on Thursday evening that North Reading is served by a separate distribution system and there was no indication of a threat to North Reading.
Municipal and School officials extended offers of assistance to neighboring communities Thursday afternoon, evening, and again Friday and Saturday. These offers included hosting a comfort station or shelter in North Reading, which was not necessary.
As of Monday, North Reading has provided the following public safety mutual aid assistance:
- Two Engines and one Ladder assisting Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover at various times.
- One Police Sergeant responded as part of the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council Incident Command Team Thursday evening.
- One Police Sergeant responded as part of the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council Regional Response Team Thursday evening.
- One Police Sergeant and two Police Officers assisted in field operations on Friday.
- One Police Sergeant and one Police Officer assisting in field operations on Saturday.
- One Police Sergeant responded as part of the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council Regional Response Team on Saturday.
- DPW responded to a request for generators on Saturday, however the equipment ended up not being needed.
- One engine responded to Lawrence to cover a Lawrence Fire Department station while Lawrence firefighters responded to a structure fire on Sunday.
Additionally, North Reading DPW staff were in touch with Andover DPW staff Thursday evening and again Friday morning regarding the water supply. Andover’s water treatment plant, which provides 60% of North Reading’s water on an annual basis, remained up and running on electric power. In the event of an electrical outage, the plant has diesel backup generators. Despite the firefighting efforts in Andover Friday night, North Reading’s water tanks remained full.
North Reading also saw increased traffic on Thursday evening due to road closures in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover.