The public should take the below steps this weekend with the approaching Hurricane Sandy.
Town officials are meeting frequently and will post messages to the town website informing the public about Hurricane Preparedness actions, as they become necessary.
1. Be sure to have a well stocked family disaster kit in the event you lose power or are isolated for several days.
2. Clear debris from your rain gutters. This storm has the potential for torrential rainfall. Providing for clear drainage will help protect against misdirected flooding.
3. Secure outdoor items, including patio furniture, trash barrels, hanging plants, etc. which can be picked by high winds and become dangerous projectiles.
4. Elevate articles in your basement that could be damaged by flooding.
5. Keep your vehicle fully fueled. Make sure your propane tank for grill cooking is filled too.
6. Have a certain amount of cash available if power is lost and ATMs are not working.