[HISTORY: Adopted by the Annual Town Meeting of the Town of North Reading 3_12_1973 by Art. 2, approved 10_11_1973. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Alcoholic beverages __ See Ch. 14.
Peddlers, solicitors and transient vendors __ See Ch. 131.
~ 37_1. Permit required.
No carnival, fair, or similar exhibition shall be held within the Town unless the sponsor thereof first obtains a permit for the same from the Board of Selectmen.
~ 37_2. Application for permit; fee.
A. Application for permit shall be made to the Town Administrator. A fee of ten dollars ($10) shall accompany each application.
B. The following information will be required in the application:
(1) Name of sponsoring organization.
(2) Name and address of carnival operator, together with the names and addresses of officers of firm operating carnival.
(3) Proposed dates of carnival operation.
(4) Proposed location of carnival operation.
(5) Name and address of insurance carrier and amounts of public liability insurance provided. This information will be in the form of an official communication from the insurance carrier.
~ 37_3. Temporary permits.
The Board of Selectmen shall not issue a temporary permit for operation of a carnival, fair, or similar exhibition until the following requirements have been satisfied:
A. A public hearing has been held on the application for permit at least thirty (30) days before but not more than ninety (90) days before the opening date of the proposed carnival, fair, or similar exhibition. Notice of such hearing shall be published in a local newspaper at least fourteen (14) days in advance of the hearing.
B. Evidence of insurance has been judged satisfactory by the Board of Selectmen.
C. Carnival operator agrees that the following requirements must be met before final permit will be issued:
(1) Inspection and approval by the Board of Health.
(2) Inspection and approval by the Wiring Inspector.
(3) Inspection and approval of all rides and equipment by a certified safety engineer designated by the Town.
(4) Notification from the Chief of Police that adequate police protection has been engaged by the operator or sponsor of said carnival, fair, or exhibition.
D. Any and all fees resulting from inspection set forth above shall be borne by the operator.
~ 37_4. Operations.
A. Sunday operation is not permitted.
B. The operation of carnivals, fairs, or similar exhibitions shall not commence before 9 a.m. nor extend beyond 10 p.m. The erection and/or dismantling of equipment, machinery, or any objects incidental to the operation of carnivals, fairs, or exhibitions shall be confined to between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.
C. Any additional restrictions as may be deemed appropriate by the Board of Selectmen.
~ 37_5. Exceptions.
This chapter shall not apply to fairs, carnivals, or similar exhibitions to be held within the confines of a closed building.
~ 37_6. Revocation of permit.
Permits issued under this chapter shall be revoked if any of the foregoing restrictions are violated.